There are lots of things to watch, tune in to and get involved from home as we countdown to the 75th Anniversary of VE Day on 8 May.
Imperial War Museums Victory Hub features fascinating content about the events of the summer of 1945 and beyond, including personal recollections of VE Day and details of IWM’s Voices of War VE Day soundscape.
- 4pm: War at home, watch live as Dan Snow will be joined by historian Victoria Taylor to discuss the home front and the blitz
- 5 & 6pm: #SpeedCurating – join Imperial War Museums’ Head of Art Becky Newell on Twitter (5pm) and Facebook (6pm) to explore a powerful painting themed around Victory in just 60 seconds.
- 2pm: Adventures in History – watch the latest episode in Imperial War Museums’ family focused series on YouTube and iwm.org.uk/learning. Join IWM expert Vikki Hawkins this week as she shares real life stories of celebration and revelry in the wake of the VE Day announcement of 1945.
- 4pm: World at War watch live as Dan Snow takes a look at the bravery found across the commonwealth and the rest of the world in this fateful period of history.
- 9am: The BFI (British Film Institute) is launching a free VE Day film collection from its archives on its BFI Player, bringing together rare and precious home movies from VE Day that capture the spirit of the nation 75 years ago.
- 5pm & 7pm: The National Museum of the Royal Navy, the National Army Museum and the Royal Air Force Museum have joined forces to host a free online festival for VE Day. Tune in to Vying for Victory when author and historian James Holland joins lead curators from the three museums to explore how they recognise VE Day. At 7pm, you can then join their live Q&A follow up discussion. Register now.
- 9am: Voices of War – experience Imperial War Museums’ soundscape featuring the recollections of people who witnessed VE Day. Visit iwm.org.uk and follow IWM on Twitter and Facebook.
- 11am: The official commemorations will begin with a national moment of remembrance and a two minute silence.
- 11.30 am: Family Mission – IWM will share a special VE Day themed challenge via its Twitter and Facebook accounts and on iwm.org.uk/learning. where CBBC Presenter Ben Shires and Jitterbug Jive will be teaching you all about vintage dance moves to celebrate in style.
- 12 noon: Learn to Lindy Hop with English Heritage’s live dance tutorial. Nancy Hitzig will help you get the hang of this popular wartime craze. Sign up now!
- 2pm: Give yourself a Second World War-inspired makeover with English Heritage’s 1940s makeup tutorial
- 2pm: Take part in The National Museum of the Royal Navy, the National Army Museum and the Royal Air Force Museums’ live webinar with renowned historian James Holland and National Army Museum curator Dr Peter Johnson to discuss the events that brought the Second World War in Europe to an end in 1945. Register now
- 3pm: Extracts from Sir Winston Churchill’s victory speech will recreate the moment peace in Europe was announced 75 years ago and the Prime Minister will speak about the importance of VE Day.
- 4pm: VE Day 75 Anniversary watch live as Dan Snow takes us through the events as they happened. He’ll also be showcasing some of your creative entries as part of his VE Day Creative Challenge.
- 4pm: Victory Dance Class with SwingdanceUK, teaching you to Jitterbug and Jive from the safety of your own home in this live beginners’ dance class. Register now.
- 5pm: Show off your moves and join others from around the world in an English Heritage dance-along, complete with a Lindy Hop dance troupe and band
- 5.30pm: Get your singing voices at the ready and tune in to Gareth Malone’s #GreatBritishHomeChorus on YouTube for a VE Day special performance.
- 6pm: We’ll Meet Again for VE Day 75 with Katherine Jenkins. The Royal Albert Hall will host to a very special concert behind closed doors streamed on their YouTube channel. Set a reminder to watch live
- 9pm: Her Majesty The Queen will send a message to the nation at 9pm, the exact moment her father, King George VI, gave a radio address in 1945.
- 9:10pm: Join your neighbours on your doorstep to take part in the national singalong of Dame Vera Lynn’s ‘We’ll Meet Again’
- From 8am: Day three of the National Museum of the Royal Navy, the National Army Museum and the Royal Air Force Museums’ free online festival for VE Day gets underway with a virtual tour of the HMS Alliance followed by Soldiers’ Stories at 11am, with webinars and discussions throughout the day.